Endure: Some Doors Need to Close, While Others Will Open

Monday, March 24, 2014



Dear Parents, Mom and Dad/Dad and Mom,

Well, I do plan on watching the videos today on fixing my bike after emailing. It is something that I plan on doing. So, until then, my bike is okay. The member did a temporary fix, but now I am going to try a permanent solution. Other than that, my bike is the middle of my worries.

So, the member ended up not getting things scheduled in time. Either way, I will not be going any time soon to the Washington, D.C. temple. Unfortunate, yes, but there will be a time when I can.

Yes, transfer calls did come. I am leaving, which I feel that it is time. I learned what I needed to here. I learned how to endure and what that means. Day in and day out, I had to endure. But, it is good. I enjoyed it here. While I did not get to know the members quite well, I feel I accomplished something here. Not sure if I will be able to rest, to regain strength, in the coming area, but we will see. This area could use some new energy. We have nearly tracted the north of our area, the middle of our area, and pretty soon, we would have started the south parts of our area. I am glad to give some ideas that I hope will provide fruit for this area. It will take time. And no, I have no idea where I am going.

This week was fair enough. We really worked hard. Tuesday, one of the missionaries that also cover the ward that I am in was called to Richmond for a meeting. So, I was in a trio for Tuesday night and most of Wednesday. We did more tracting Tuesday. There was this one street that we knocked pretty quickly. Not many people interested until this one door. He talked to us quite a bit. Nothing much to note about him, but rather what did happen. He asked us if we knocked on the lady across the street from him. We did, but we could not remember if any answered. He told us to be careful, because she will call the police. She even called the police on him for crawling into his own house through a window, because he locked himself out. And sure enough, a police car did pull into that neighborhood, but we avoided the police by talking to the man.

Wednesday was a pretty good day. We had some great lessons that day with two investigators. Another appointment fell through that day, but we were able to go ahead and talk to two less active members. It was good. A lot of things were able to move forward. Also, my companion locked ourselves into our bedroom that night. He was messing with the door mechanism until it broke and could not be pushed in (karma). What does he do then? Closes the door, thus taking 40 minutes of us trying to get us free. I had to climb out the window, onto the roof to get a screwdriver as well as brush my teeth and get ready for bed. (Our current apartment is a house with a second floor and a basement. It belongs to a member.)

We had zone meeting this past Friday. I was asked to give a spiritual thought on our purpose and its meaning to me and how it motivates me. What turned to be a thought turned into a testimony that went well. It was good to do that. I was surprised also on Sunday to give a talk, because I was leaving. I had a minute to prepare, because they announced it before I gave a talk. I bore testimony of enduring, which was good.

One less active person we have been working wanted me to thank you two for raising me well. I made her cry in a good way. She and her family have been going through a lot and we invited her to have family prayers at night. I bore testimony, which really helped her to be on board.

I love testimonies. I find them to be really powerful. What keeps me doing what I am doing? My testimony. I have learned a lot of things so far. I am exhausted, tired, but despite that, I am going to keep on working hard and keep on doing what needs to be done. I hate good-byes and I hate to leave, but it is time. There are others to be found and others to be rescued. 

Yes, I did get my package and no, I do not know those elders (his mother sent him names of some other missionaries whose mothers share a Facebook page)

All is well.



Love,

Elder S. Todd