I Deliberately Sneezed! - éternuer - niesen - чхати - nyse - עֲטִישָׁה - чихать

An LDS missionary, somewhere in Virginia, deliberately sneezes.

Tuesday, October 14, 2014

Dear Parents, Mom and Dad/Dad and Mom,

Let me begin with my back situation. I go to the doctor and I am in the room immediately. He comes in and asks me the story of what is wrong with back, what happened, etc. I told him what has occurred since July and about how sneezing made it worse. 


Now get this, he asked me, "You just randomly sneezed?" 

Sarcastic Answer: "No, doctor, I deliberately sneezed." 

(Do not worry, I said yes and not the sarcastic answer.) After getting my story, he walks over to me-- mind you, I am on that bench, bed thing and my legs are at 90 degrees-- and straightens my leg to 180 degrees. Then, he asked me where it hurts, which, of course, my leg and back were on fire at that point. I am also sure he could tell that I was in pain when my eyes nearly bulged out from him straightening my leg. (And if I was not in pain at that point, then I sure was and there after.) Once discovering that, he tells me he will be right back. 

Time passes and he comes back in with another doctor. My diagnosis? Herniated disc. Tomorrow, I get to go back to the hospital and get an MRI that will show where my herniated disc is and if I actually have one. Once confirmed, I get to consider treatment options. Do not worry or panic. The doctor is good, despite the silly questions and inflicting pain. It is me. I still do not like doctors and I have my reasons for that.

That is good about my driver's license.
 (His renewal can be done online.) I remember last time, I believe, before I left we did try to extend it. They just said that I would have to wait. At least we have made progress in that regard. 

It sounds like my dog is who she is and trying to make friends. Keep an eye on her, please, as I know you have been doing.

My week was good. On Monday, we Met the Mormons ("Meet the Mormons" showing in theaters but privately shown to missionaries.) before I came to email. With that movie, we are not allowed to be near theaters or watch it in theaters. For us missionaries, they still wanted us to see it, to talk about it with members. It is a good little film that shows 6 actual members living the gospel standards. Some break the ideas that people have of Mormons. Some show how we benefit those around us. I definitely liked it. Our lunch appointment that day turned into a dinner appointment. We also finished with combing through the potential records. The potential records are officially divided and we have started going through our list. No success so far.

Tuesday, we had some cleaning to do and we tackled a closet and organized it. We also tried seeing one of our less actives, but it did not turn out. We tried contacting a few other people, but it did not turn out, except for one. One person answered the door (a less active) and she did not let us in, but did tell us what days are best for her and her non-member husband. After that, we both agreed it would be great for us to try that house again. She had potential; the Spirit was strong about that. Normally, I do not get that feeling. We stopped by a few people after our dinner appointment; one of them who is the returning member who has overcome health issues.

Wednesday, we had our district meeting. The ward mission leader took us; he was fighting falling asleep. So was I. I did not sleep good that night. I have been able to fight falling asleep in cars, but I have been more and more exhausted lately and I am reverting back to sleeping while as a passenger. My companion was in the back seat while the two of us in the front were falling asleep. On the way back to Petersburg, we had correlation. When the assistant ward mission leader took us out for dinner, we went to see people instead of heading to the church. One person was not happy at all in seeing us, because we did not call ahead and he was eating dinner. All of the people we tried to see were not answering their doors. Finally, I decided, based on a prompting, that we go see the returning member who has overcome health issues. It turned out to be a good visit.

Thursday, we had interviews with the mission president. It was the usual interview. I agree that we should not overly abandon tracting Colonial Heights and surrounding areas, but I am still adamant in storming Dinwiddie. I have a strong feeling about it. (The thing is, my companion likes finding potentials; it is his favorite form of tracting. I am working around that.) We tried to see people after the interviews and lunch. Then, I had my doctor's appointment.

Friday, we planned and went over the potentials. We tried discussing things. We tried to see some more less actives. Not much happened on Friday. Neither on Saturday. There was a child of record baptism and we were in charge of filling the font. Filling the font took 5 hours, as per usual. (It takes five hours, because people want the water warm and we have a energy efficient water heater, which means water heating takes a while.)

Sunday, we had church. A less active who is permanently stuck here made it to church once again. Hopefully, she can keep at it. We tried finding more potentials and had some success of at least meeting them. Then, we had dinner over at the family (or as I feel bad in calling them as I did, the family who feeds us a lot). Dad's bestest friend (a recent convert who shares on Facebook a love of soccer, Southern manners and the topic of the "rapture") was there and we taught her about tithing.

Columbus Day, the library and post office was closed. The schools were open, which was different. We cleaned and rested. I made my companion a grilled cheese and a milkshake. I put seasoned salt and basil on the bread. Well, I oversalted it and cooking it got rid of the seasoned part of the salt. So, it was a bit salty. Then, I slightly burnt one side of the bread, which he scraped off. I gave him potato chips, which are overly salty. Dinner, needless to say, was salty. He was so cautious of eating it, because he did not watch me cook it and previous experiences with companions and them cooking meals for him have turned not for the best for him. (I guess it does not help that I have scared him a lot, but he scares easily). After dinner, we headed to the church, where we received info about a returning member. We tried another recent convert and his wife. He was awake, but she was not. We helped him with obtaining a LDS account on lds.org. He ordered scriptures.

Those calls are this weekend. I am not guessing this time. I have no idea what is going to happen. For all I know, I could be gone. My companion sure thinks I am gone. When members have been asking about transfers, he tells them when they are and that I am mostly likely gone (or "he's [referring to me] gone and I am staying"). He is even acting like I am leaving. I am going to hold off on making guesses.

All is well!

Love,

Elder S. Todd

P.S. Really, Sweets? (Reference to the TV show "Bones.") That is sad. Either you were going to tell me or eventually somebody was going to tell me. Also, do not worry about feeling out of the loop. I feel out of the loop most of the time. Not sure if that makes you feel better, but just know that I also know what it is like. And so does Somebody else.

No comments: